Sunday, May 30, 2010

Concertgebouw of Amsterdam and Bruckner



A dream come true. That is how I describe watching the Orchestra of the Concertgebouw of Amsterdam perfoming Bruckner's Fifth Symphony.

Late in the 1970's I used to listen to the nightly radio show of classical music broadcast by Radio Jornal do Brasil. Among my favourites were the symphonies of Bruckner and Mahler played by the Orchestra of the Concertgebouw of Amsterdam. What fantastic music coming from a far-away place that inspired my imagination. That made the whole experience even more special.

The theatre's acoustics is phenomenal, which just highlights the excellent orchestra. And, sitting at the podium, I could see how the conductor, maestro Herbert Blomstedt, had the orchestra in his hands, allowing him explore Bruckner's mastery of harmony and polyphony taking advantage of the contrasts of the different instrumental groups.

I was also very lucky to chat with conductor Blomstedt at the end of the concert.

Overall, an unforgetable afternoon.

By the way, refreshments were served at the end of this Sunday concert, including wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment