Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wiener Philharmoniker and Mahler


When I was a teenager all I wanted to do was to play my guitar and listen to classical music. I used to purchase those old (new at the time) vinyl long players of the most important philharmonic orchestras whenever I had enough money saved from any source available (BTW: the long players were 33 RPM, not 78 RPM ... I am not that old :-D ). Among them were the big 3 orchestras, from Vienna, Amsterdam and Berlin, the best in the world.

Therefore, I felt as a dream come true when I watched the Wiener Philharmoniker play in its own house, the Musikverein Theatre in Vienna. And it was a very special program, which included a Schumann overture and the 5th symphony of Gustav Mahler. Mahler, who at the end of the 19th century was himself the director of the Wiener Philharmoniker, is one of my favourite composers.

It was an unforgettable event that my wife, my son and I shared together, closing our 10 days stay in Vienna with a golden key.

No comments:

Post a Comment