Saturday, April 17, 2010

American Cemetery and Patton


The American Cemetery was among the several places we saw in Luxemburg. Visiting a cemetery is not necessarily what I would call tourism, but this is a landmark. And it is very moving, I have to admit. Looking at all those crosses, I started to imagine so many young people crossing the Atlantic to fight, and die, for that very basic Western value: freedom. We owe a lot to those guys. It makes me wonder if we, as a civilization, have not become complacent towards ideologies that favour submission rather than freedom.

The picture shows a small cross, the place where General Patton is burried. Both myself and my son admire Patton. He had no excuses to have his job done. We need more Pattons! My favourite quote from Patton is: "No bastard ever won a war dying for his country. He won by making the other dumb poor bastard die for his country."

A few other quotes from Paton:

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more."

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."

“Never let the enemy pick the battle site.”

"Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. "

No comments:

Post a Comment