Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dutch scenes: bikes



I do not know what came first, the Dutch or the bike, but the fact is that both are everywhere, being that there are a little bit more bikes than Dutch. It is said that the first gift a new-born gets is a baby bike. Like in Canada, where every new-born gets a Toronto Mapple Leafs T-shirt, to be discarded later when the baby gets its first signs of intelligence. :-)

I also bought a bike. But unlike the locals, I wear a helmet. It serves more than a protective gear. It also indicates that I am a visitor, which allows me to get a polite treatment from the other bikers. That comes in handy. They bike very aggressively and very fast, and everywhere even in the middle of people. When they see me (actually, my helmet) they act in a more corteous way. The pedestrians, on the other hand, seem to ignore me. Darn, I have to keep diverting to avoid hitting them.

I am still curious to know what is done when friends go out to a pub. How do they choose a designated driver?

The photo shows the parking lot by Delft's train station.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a bike manufacturer would WOW, what if you are in the middle? or how do they no which bike is theirs?
    Lorry

    ReplyDelete